There are many things to do in and around Cusco that will make a great holiday for both parents and kids. Here are some tips:
- Take it really easy those first days. Especially if you haven’t acclimatized, Cusco can hit hard. The first night just gets some soup, lots of tea and a good night sleep.
- Visit the Choco museum and do the chocolate making workshop.
- The Inca museum is really great for kids as they get a good overview of the Inca history, do this before you visit any ruins.
- Make sure to visit the market of San Pedro, order a drink at one of the many juice stalls and try as much strange food as you can! It is also a great place to pick up some souvenirs, way cheaper than in San Blas or the main Plaza.
- Sacsayhuaman ruins were a highlight, great combination of impressive ruins, beautiful space and a stone slide, we recommend booking a guide that can tell a good story!
- Mama cucharadita is a great place for ice cream and put it together yourself sandwiches. If you book in advance, kids can learn how to make ice cream here.
- Sacred Valley: really take your time here and if you can, book a private tour so you can stop where you feel like. Stop at the alpaca factory, where the kids get to feed different lamas, alpacas, and vicuñas and learn about the process of weaving. Also stop for a visit to Seminario, a ceramics workshop where they show you around how they make their pottery. Lunch in Wayra, see the Paso horse’ show and end your day in Ollanta.
- Machu Picchu is one of the highlights for everyone, the history, the architecture and sheer magic of this place is something that also captivates children.